This ambitious Challenge will combine two previous Accelerator Award powerhouse winning teams under one umbrella to harness the powers of 5G indoors, this time focusing on two unique, creative workstreams that will both power live, cutting-edge motion capture and low-latency connectivity into creative output, focusing on the performing arts, and 3D animation into children’s hospitals.
The first Performing Arts workstream will use the latest in FPGA* innovations and will aim to demonstrate Ultra Low Latency 5G private networks to support the creation of new, immersive audience experiences for those at a live (or, as-live) performance/venue, and those engaging remotely in another performance/venue.
The second workstream for Live 3D Animation will aim to demonstrate a sustainable, accessible and inclusive way to entertain children who need it most and show how IP holders can bring animated worlds to hospital wards with sick children anywhere in the world, using a system that does not require costly render farms, rely on outsourcing production or cause studio burnout. It will also showcase how new formats of ‘live’ kid’s content can be created with meaningful, two-way interaction between the children and the animated characters.
Kickstart Day Pitch:
Objectives Workstream 1: 5G & Live Performing Arts
- Experiment in building new “smoke and mirror” low latency audio and video ‘illusions’ that can be piped from ‘anywhere’ to ‘everywhere’ over appropriate back haul, using terrestrial or celestial Public Internet
- Innovate and explore new ways to interact with a ‘Live’ performance with Motion Capture and VR projection techniques
- Speed of Sound and Digital Video Compression don’t mix that well, every frame of video is 16 feet of sound travelled, 3 frames best for 4K UHD so audio and vision in sync at 50 feet, requires large screens sizes via 4K UHD laser projection
- Highly mobile, quick to rig in overcoming cost prohibitive cable runs (easing H&S requirements) enabling new creative freedoms in being able to open up venues that can’t be cabled
- Be clean as possible, following on from 2022’s ‘low’ carbon approach (via 5G in the Middle of Nowhere project)
Objectives Workstream 2: 5G & Live Animation
- Utilise AniSign and motion capture to perform the animated character in real-time
- Use 5G to enable performers and audiences to connect anywhere
- Present on a high resolution (8K?) display to heighten the immersion
- Motion-track the display so it can be “placed” in the animated world
- A live performance system to trigger changes in the animated world in response to the child's emotions
- Disguise the screen to dial up the magic
* FPGAs are Field Programmable Gate Arrays, semiconductor devices that are based around a matrix of configurable logic blocks connected via programmable interconnects.
Please complete the form below if you are interested in joining an Accelerator project.
For more information, please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org